Access all of my publications at
Most recent articles
Most recent articles
- 2023 Insights in social inclusion in cities (with Mari Vaattovaara).
- 2022 A fragile democracy.
- 2022 How COVID has impacted the life of the city.
- 2022 Geopolitical consequences of the war in Ukraine.
- 2022 The informal city: the street vending economy (with Lina Martinez).
- 2022 Deaths and injuries in road crashes are a 'silent epidemic on wheels'.
- 2022 Settler colonialism helps explain current events.
- 2021 My choice of 5 best books on cities.
- 2021 Cities and climate change (with Abbey Farmer).
- 2021 Five essential reads on the infrastructure bill.
- 2021 Cities worldwide aren't adapting to climate change quickly enough.
- 2021 As urban life resumes, can US cities avert gridlock?
- 2021 Social inclusion in cities.
- 2021 The pandemic city: urban issues in the time of COVID-19 (with Lina Martinez).
- 2021 Why COVID-19 won’t kill cities.
- 2021 Life satisfaction in the city (with Lina Martinez).
- 2020 Street vendors make cities livelier, safer and fairer.
- 2020 Contesting place names: The East Sea/Sea of Japan (with Leah Dubots).
- 2020 The emerging middle class in the Global South (with Lina Martinez).
- 2020 Is your city making you fat?
- 2019 Supreme Court says gerrymandering fix up to voters, not judges.
- 2019 New York gets serious about traffic with congestion pricing plan.
- 2019 Why US cities are becoming more dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians.
- 2019 Consumption and the new middle class (with Lina Martinez and Maria Zafra).
- 2019 What do global metrics tell us? (with Justin Velez-Hagan and Leah Dubots).
- 2018 Four reasons gerrymandering is getting worse.
- 2018 Are traffic-clogged US cities ready for congestion pricing?
Some recent invited chapters to edited books and collections
- 2020 An Election in a Time of Distrust. In U.S. Election Analysis 2020: Media, Voters and the Campaign.
- 2020 Cities of the Future: Five urban imaginaries. Cities of The World (7th ed).
- 2020 Housing Policy and The Suburban Metropolis: A Focus on the United States and France. Routledge Handbook of Housing Policy and Planning (with Bernadette Hanlon).
- 2020 Walking The City: Flânerie and Flâneurs. The Routledge Companion to Philosophy of The City (with Kathryn Kramer).
- 2019 The End of The Suburbs. The Routledge Companion To The Suburbs.
- 2017 Introduction To The Urban Moment. A Research Agenda for Cities.
- 2017 Global Cities. The Wiley-AAG International Encyclopedia of Geography.
- 2016 Urban Imaginaries of City and Nature. Handbook of Cities and The Environment.
- 2016 Attracting Wealth: Crafting Immigration Policy to Attract The Rich. International Handbook of Wealth and the Super-Rich.
- 2015 City Marketing. International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition.
- 2014 Cities in Civilization. The Planning Imagination: An Appreciation of Sir Peter Hall.
- 2013 Economic Wealth and Political Power in The Second Gilded Age. Geographies of the Super-Rich.
- 2012 Mega-events: Urban Spectaculars and Globalization. In International Handbook of Globalization and World Cities.